Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Is This Too Odd? Slumped Salsa Jar


Instead of slumping a wine bottle in my kiln, I thought I'd try something a little different. I sprinkled pearly white mica powder inside a clean salsa jar, fired the kiln until the jar was flat, let it cool, and this is the result. I think it looks a bit like snow, and I like the idea of something cold taking the place of spicy hot salsa.

It is different than anything I've done. The shape is not as graceful as a wine bottle, and Mr. LuckyGirl actually turned up his nose and made a face when I showed him the jar. But what do you all think? Can you imagine this little dish in your home, or giving it to someone as a gift? I have a lot of empty jars here, and could fill a couple of kiln loads before I run out. Or I could toss the jars in the recycling next week.

Oh, and if you've fallen in love with this jar and absolutely must have it, you can find it in my Etsy shop.

4 comments:

Ann said...

I think it looks kind of cool

WillOaks Studio said...

I'm clueless about working with glass...but what I thought of when I saw your new shape was a nice spoon rest (I make a mess when I cook)--is it possible to shape it a bit more as it slumps?? I think that would be very cool, esp if you could color it someway to refer BACK to food!

Jackie said...

Wow I think it is really cool. Is there anyway to add a stain or color the next time you try it?

Wow if so I think it would make a very interesting and pretty piece of art!!

Jackie:-)

SecretAgent said...

That is really quite neat! I also checked out your Etsy site, and I really like your Slumped Blue Tequila Bottle Plate. The blue is gorgeous!