Saturday, April 4, 2009

My First Tie-Dyed Bottle Plate

Okay, it's not really tie-dyed, but it does remind of a tie-dyed shirt. This bottle took over two weeks to make. I thoroughly washed and dried an empty liquor bottle, then diluted some kiln-hardy blue paint and dripped it in inside. Then I waited for the paint to dry. And waited. And waited. Several days later it was dry enough to add the purple paint, and then the waiting began again. I didn't want to put the bottle in the kiln while there was any hint of moisture inside for fear of the bottle popping in the heat and causing a lot of damage. Seven days later it looked dry, so I let it sit another day just to be safe. After a full day (and night!) in the kiln, it came out looking like this. I love the look, so I've got a few more in progress. In the meantime, I'll have this available for purchase in my etsy shop tomorrow.