Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WASPS! AGAIN!

Last spring I told you about the crazy wasp who was building a nest inside the door to the gas cap on my car. I really thought that was the end of my wasp problem. Nope. Not a chance. I opened the driver's door, and there in the little space where the inside of door is hidden when the door is closed I found this:



Is a wasp-free car too much to ask? Is there something about my black Saturn that has turned it into a rolling home for wasps, sort of an insect's travel trailer? If you've had this problem I'd love to hear from you--maybe we can start a support group. Or a rescue service for homeless wasps.

6 comments:

Anne Younger said...

That gives me the willies......

Anne
www.foreverayounger.com

Anonymous said...

Looks more like a moth to me. (which is why I'm not good with bugs) I hope you get them out though! Yuck.

:-) MaryLou said...

Eegads! We have them every year, building their nests underneath the benches on our deck. I'm allergic to lots of stinging insects, so my husband always has to go out and get rid of them.

I've never seen one so intent on building a nest next to a gas cap!

P.L. Frederick said...

I feel for you. Them things get in and take control. I once had a chipmunk problem in my pick-up. It was chewing on the wires, only I didn't know it at the time, I only knew that something was wrong. When I took the truck to the mechanic, the chipmunk, who was home at the time, jumped up on the man's arm, sat there and looked around before jumping off and scampering away. The mechanic was so surprised he couldn't move. He then proceeded to lecture me on the merits of getting a garage. I found it difficult to listen. He'd just had a chipmunk riding his arm.

Hey if you go to this page on my blog and scroll about halfway down you'll see a poem called “Parade.” It describes my experience with a headstrong wasp. They have a way of showing us who's boss.

Take care, and keep up the snazzy blog!

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

CastoCreations said...

OMG that is too freaking scary!!!

JODI said...

I would think the wasp would get smashed opening and closing the car door... which just goes to show how much I know about wasp and cars.